First Annual H. Gene Murtha Memorial Senryu Contest
Gene Murtha, has left us, too soon, but his humor, tenderness, and a superb gift of imagination remains in his many poems, most of which you can find by searching ‘The Heron’s Nest‘. Gene touched on subjects and emotions that ran the gamut of a life that is fully lived. He loved nature, family, and his fellow poets. Any flaws that he had, and he would admit to many, were overshadowed by his ability to express the most complex emotions simply and directly. A few of his poems may provide you inspiration:
spring mist –
a mallard paddles
through our stillborn’s ashes
where my brother stood –
a smooth stone
in my pocket
1. Only TWO submissions per poet.
2. Previously published work is fine, as are poems that have been workshopped or appeared on social media, with the exception of work that has previously appeared in either of Prunejuice or Failed Haiku.
3. Short submission time of 10 days. Submissions begin on May 15th beginning at 12:01 AM EDT, and must be in our email box by midnight EDT on May 25. Any emails received either before or after will NOT be judged.
4. All email submissions MUST be sent to: MurthaSenryu@haikuhut.com, with CONTEST in the Subject field.
5. Winners will be notified by June 15th, and their poems will be published in BOTH Prunejuice and Failed Haiku in the July 1 issues, with a write up by either Steve Hodge and Michael Rehling.
6. PRIZES: 1st Place: $50.00, 2nd Place: $25.00, 3rd Place: $25.00. All three of the winners will also receive a book of poetry by one of the following senryu poets: Alexis Rotella, Roberta Beary, or Alan Pizzarelli.
7. Judges for this contest are the editors of Prunejuice and Failed Haiku: Steve Hodge and Michael Rehling respectively.
STEVE HODGE MIKE REHLING
Editor: Prunejuice Editor: Failed Haiku